Monday 19 November 2012

Everything's Great When You're Downtown..

Downtown Shopping

Our first impression of Downtown Calgary was that it was all just offices and a few bars, so other than our foray there last week to look at apartments for rent and our wee expat night out, we didn't have any great desire to see much more of it. But knowing that this is more than likely where I will be working I decided to have a day out and wander around at my leisure. I also figured it would be a fairly cheap day out, with my only expenses being the C-train  (more on that in a future post) and perhaps a spot of lunch.

My first stop was the Scotia Centre, as there is a recruitment company there that I plan to visit next week http://shopscotia.com/  After a quick wander round I figured out where I needed to go, then took a dawdle around the rest of the centre, when I discovered the +15!

I had heard of this before thinking it a maze of corridors and bridges that join the downtown offices together. As it happens it’s a bit more than that. Getting it’s name because the corridors and bridges are around 15 feet above street level, (although there are also some at 30 & 45 feet) it is also home to a variety of food courts, boutiques, department stores, medical centres, movies and bars and an indoor park! I was quite honestly blown away, but not quite as quickly as the budget I’d set for myself!

After exhausting almost all of my finances I stopped for a bite to eat, it was just such an amazing place to enjoy your lunch, all white, bright and airy and really relaxed, it's only when you look up that you are reminded you are in the middle of a busy business district.

Oh and the food is good too. There are you're usual Subway, KFC & A&W (I've seem very few Macdonalds, which is interesting) there is also a mix of Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean and Poutine (will explain this one once I've figured it out), which I'm starting to find is the usual choices you can expect. I choose some Asian place, can't quite remember now what it was called, I've attached a picture of it, half eaten.. I got this (and the rest) for around $7. It really was delicious, but as usual just too much for me.

A step or two away from the food court and you reach The Devonian Gardens. The living walls, palm trees, fountains and coy carp provide a calming oasis away from the retail hustle and bustle and lunching office workers.  You never quite forget where you are though, as occasionally you will be reminded that you are in the heart of downtown Calgary with a glimpse through the windows at the towering office blocks or will reach the outer edges of the gardens where the palm trees are framed by the steel girders of the building. http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pages/Locations/Downtown-parks/Devonian-Gardens.aspx?redirect=/parks/devonian

On to 17th Avenue...

As it was early in the day, I then took a stroll down to 17th Avenue which I had been told was the place to go to enjoy good food and drink and that during the day there are some great shops to look through. http://www.uptown17.ca/ The shops here tend to be more unique, with lots of vintage and boutiques, I didn't have time to stay long or the money, so it's on the list of somewhere to return with the husband in tow (and his wallet). I'll be sure to let you know how we get on, meantime, I'll resume my hunt for slimline tonic...








1 comment: